[casual_games] multiplayer?

Matthew Ford matthew at fordfam.com
Tue Oct 24 16:28:01 EDT 2006

Ahh, I'd love to hear discussion about this one. Last time I heard this
discussed, it was said that portals often prohibit apps from connecting
users to the developer's server for fear the developer will steal their
future business-- for example wean them off the portal and start to sell to
them directly. But I don't recall an extended discussion of this and I'd
really appreciate any more info on the subject.

As well as recounting the situation as it stands now, I'd appreciate any
speculation on how this may change in the future, and how a developer can
build a game in a way that allows multiplayer connections among players but
avoids whatever the portals may fear.

Or in fact is the market ready now for multiplayer-oriented casual gaming,
and it simply has not broken out yet?

Matthew Ford
matthew at fordfam dot com