[casual_games] Better Casual Game Business Models

Joe Pantuso jpantuso at traygames.com
Wed Oct 25 10:55:11 EDT 2006

There are several interesting items in here and nothing I'd argue with.  One
that begs discussion though is "We found that when we sell a game to a woman
35+, 50% of the time she's buying it for the kids not herself.".  The stats
on women as a larger than 50% of the casual user base, and the age skew to
older than 30, is taken as gospel in much of the casual games discussion.
Certainly it gets stated in articles about the space often enough.  Is this
a badly gathered stat that has been replicated without being fact checked?

If so this would mean 'kids without credit cards' actually the largest
percentage group of casual players, followed by 'under-25 slackers stealing
time at work' (derived from a Pogo.com sponsored study).

On 10/25/06, Alex St. John <stjohnalex at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Interesting thread.  I thought I'd chime in, since we've been working on
> the monetization problem a long time.  We built our own DRM solution for
> casual games way back in 2001 and have been iterating it ever since.  Because
> we originally developed it just to support games from our own Studio we
> chose a Content limited DRM model instead of the time limited model the rest
> of the market went with.  This proved very educational when we took
> downloadable games we had been selling with content limited DRM and released
> them to major portals that were using time limited DRM.   What we found
> was that a hit game that was content limited would sell very strongly within
> our channel over a period of many years, often with a slow steady escalation
> in audience.  The same game posted on a major gaming portal with time
> limited DRM would experience a huge spike in sales that rapidly collapsed.
>
> The difference in behavior is the result of time limited DRM killing a
> games viral audience momentum before it can gain traction.  A hot game
> falls rapidly off  the top 10 list as the time based DRM on the game
> drives off it's free players.  We all like to talk about our audience
> being 70% women 35 and up, but this really isn't the case.  The audience
> is very broad, and a large majority of it is kids without credit cards.  We
> found that when we sell a game to a woman 35+, 50% of the time she's buying
> it for the kids not herself.  I think it's very interesting to look at the
> sources of popcap.com's traffic on www.alexa.com.  What you see is a lot
> of moms looking online for content to keep the kids entertained.  A small
> fraction of the kids and teenagers who don't have a means of buying games
> online are successful in persuading a parent to do it for them, the rest are
> S.O.L. and must content themselves with hunting for free play.  The
> problem is that this audience is also the word-of-mouth group that generates
> buzz for a game. When they are thrown out of a game they like because they
> can't or won't purchase, the buzz stops.
>
> There is an important and interesting caveat to this observation.  Content
> based DRM works best for content based games; that is games that unlock new
> "art" or "levels" in exchange for purchase.   Games based on simple
> repetitive play such as puzzle games perform well with time based DRM
> because there is little or no "content" other than the basic game to unlock.
> Games that depend on repetition addiction to drive a conversion must cut
> off the player to make a conversion before the players, "addiction" to the
> game play is satisfied.
>
> For content based games with content limited DRM we find that the games
> have extremely long shelf lives and develop growing audiences over time,
> even after the game has dropped off the front page and out of marketing
> efforts.  Out of 300 games in our channel and 30 from all of the top
> [...]

In a free, democratic society, political affiliation is an informed,
continually evaluated decision; not a bond of blind loyalty, like that of
dog to man.