SUSPECT: RE: [casual_games] multiplayer?

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 28 08:59:39 EDT 2006

On 27/10/06, k f <mamaji4 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Every time I have tried to log in to play real-time multiplayer games I
> have
> either been unable to join, because of network lag, been unable to play in
> real-time, or just plain kicked off the server because of excessive lag.
> That's hardly the type of multiplayer experience anyone would like to
> return
> to for a half hour break. Which is why most of the multiplayer games are
> turn based.

Then you are either in a small and shrinking minority of people in areas
with terrible internet connectivity or you're playing poorly-written MP
games. Lag is not a problem in any well-designed and well-implemented game
requiring even ultra-fast reflexes (c.f. UT2004, HL/CS, etc) with ping times
easily of 200ms or more (i.e. dialup modems). The average DSL connection in
the UK (average) gives 30ms or so ping times to servers on the same
continent.