[casual_games] Multiplayer casual games

Chris Early Chris.Early at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 3 10:48:54 EDT 2007

Having been called out specifically (thanks John)...

Steve's comments are right on the mark. Multiplayer is hard and there is a lot more than community to multiplayer. One of my biggest regrets at Mplayer, GameSpy and my first few years at Microsoft is that while we made many tools to enable "retail" games to have an easier time with these features, we never really did it for the then "card and parlor" and now "casual" games.

Until now...

(/Begin company promotion)

With the launch of Games for Windows - LIVE, the same functionality available to developers for Xbox LIVE Arcade, is now available for developers on the Windows XP and Vista platforms. This includes multiplayer game support and friends Leaderboards (for Steve's Shanghai friends), as well as the many other features of Microsoft's LIVE gaming service.

If you want more information on the program, please email the developer relations guys at Microsoft Casual Games directly at: mcg at microsoft.com<mailto:mcg at microsoft.com>

(/End company promotion)

Sorry for the promotion; it was specific and relevant to the question at hand and I tried to keep it brief.

Chris

[cid:image001.jpg at 01C7D59F.8B42DDC0]
Chris Early
General Manager