[casual_games] Gameplay duration

Joe Schultz joe.schultz at bydesigngames.com
Mon Aug 20 11:26:23 EDT 2007

10-20hrs sound less like casual and more like console. I think for
casual, it is OK to offer more interesting game play but with a
shorter game length, rather than less engaging gameplay spread out
over many hours. Some games still just pad in content to stretch the
play length, when many players would prefer more interesting play
over length (especially adult & casual gamers who have less time to
devote).

Since true game length depends on the game type; the above advice can
get a little muddy. Examples: poker ends with the round, but you can
play poker forever. A racing game *can be* replayed forever, but the
number of maps / tracks are typically finite.

Take a look at Mario Kart 64 for an stellar example of a racing game
with few tracks, but interesting play used to make the game more
enjoyable without artificially bloating the content. I think they
struck a good balance: using engine classes and other (enjoyable)
play mechanics, to elongate the play without simply tacking on
numerous maps / tracks.

Joe Schultz
Game Director
ByDesign Games