[casual_games] Gameplay duration

Antonio Santamaria asantamaria at artech.ca
Wed Aug 29 09:47:01 EDT 2007

10-20 hours sounds to me like a full console game.
The expectations I think depend on the game type. We've been given much
lower numbers, perhaps 3-4 hours of gameplay, including retries for an
average player....perhaps an hour to 2 of new content. These are for
games that are replayable (ie. for score), as opposed to mission or
career-based games where there is less incentive to play again once they
are complete.

That said, I tend to measure game length as "length of a game session".
If I can have a rewarding game session for 10 minutes at a time, and
actually accomplish something in that time (score, get to next level,
whatever), then that's seems pretty good. If I have to play for 30
minutes just to progress, then that's not so good. That's just my
opinion anyways.