[casual_games] standard practices in multiplayer gaming?

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:30:34 EDT 2007

Most standardization is around low level libs to replace the awful UDP
and TCP, eg eNet and less commonly raknet (and commercial
alternatives, mainly DemonWare and Qazal), language specific
architectures (google for .Net and game server, or java and game
server, etc - twisted is a good start for this), or multi use toolkits
which do lobbyservers, voice chat, character persistence, billing etc
all in one big smorgasbord.

But most of that is more "convention" than standardization.

I would avoid compression and most encryption - mostly they are a waste of time.

Have a look at gamedev.net's netwoking and multiplayer articles
section, its all out of date but they did build up a good collection
of a lot of good articles from other sites.

Also look at the unofficial garagegames list of ext resources :