[casual_games] Casual games on MacOS

Donald dbahlman at xblitz.com
Thu Feb 8 17:30:54 EST 2007

Well, I don’t know of any official studies. But in my experience, I’ve
worked for two different MAC game companies. And in both cases the
companies had to convert to PC because the MAC market was just too small to
support them. I don’t think it’s changed that much recently.

So here’s my “unofficial” guess. On my portal, about 3% of our visitors use
a MAC. If you take the number of total US revenue for casual games from
2005 it’s about 350ml. Using my 3%, I would guess the potential revenues
for a MAC user base at about 10.5ml, or at 20 bucks ahead you could figure
about 525,000 users. The average US conversion is 1.5% so that would leave
about 8,000 potential MAC gamers. (That’s if all half million MAC users
demo’ed your game.)

Ok, maybe I have entirely too much time on my hands.

However, my two cents is that if it won’t work on an iPod, it probably won’t
make enough money
long term. Anyways, it’s still too much of a risk for us
right now.

Cheers!

Donald

xBlitz Entertainment