[casual_games] selling game online

Alex Amsel tuna at tunatech.com
Fri Feb 9 13:47:39 EST 2007

Actually there's a problem with this Brian. We've been in the industry
for a long time, too long, and what you suggest as a solution is
actually the beginning of further problems/ Fixed COGS can work in
certain cases - magazine deals, per territory deals (esp for budget or
low-profile projects), and long tail.

However, fixed COGS allows profits to stay with the
portals/publishers/aggregators and they simply don't feed down. What you
end up with is almost a work for hire business, and this is not going to
get developers far in the long run.

The great thing about the download revenue share model is that you live
or die based upon your sales, exactly how it should be. A great success
will make you rich, well, well off. That's how it should be, and the
increased discounting is worrying - done wrong it'll be damaging for the
online industry just as it has been for retail. However, that's for
another thread.

Can you imagine if Virtual Villagers had been sold wholesale?

(BTW: Good to meet several of you in Amsterdam, and hear some of your talks)

--

Alex Amsel
Tuna Technologies Ltd (Sheffield, UK)