[casual_games] selling game online

Brian Robbins brian-l at dubane.com
Fri Feb 9 17:15:24 EST 2007

I think you mis-understand what I'm suggesting.

I'm talking about having a fixed price per unit, say $7.
Portals/retailers/etc are then free to sell that for however much they
want, be it $1 as a loss leader or $50 if they think they can get it.
Either way, they owe the developer $5 for every unit sold.

What this does is evens out the problems in the current model, where
you get percentage of a percentage of a percentage, potentially ending
up with $1.32 per sale (as per Greg's post).

Developers still live and die by the success of their product, yet
they don't suffer when portals start lumping their games into massive
bundles, discounting them to almost nothing, or even try to deduct
tons of expenses off the top.

It's far from perfect, but I think it avoids a lot of the current
problems, before they become crippling to developers.

-Brian

--
Brian Robbins
Executive Producer and Gaming Evangelist