[casual_games] selling game online [getting 60-75% from a

Kim Pallister kimpall at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 9 17:59:16 EST 2007

James did a nice job in clarifying the difference between a "publisher" and a "distributor", and that definitely was part of the confusion in Greg's otherwise-very-thorough post.

Two points I'd like to add:

1 - I'm not sure an 'agent' is the same thing as a distributor. The former would imply representing your game and fighting hard for it's placement, marketing, etc. The latter implies facilitating the market connection between many 'products' and many 'storefronts' (in this case 'games' and 'portals'). Some distributors may act as agent for some games, but my guess would be that in most cases, you are better off looking at it as purely a distribution function.

If anything, I think the term distributor/aggregator is more descriptive, since the aggregator term is descriptive of the function they provide depending on your point of view.

2 - Greg makes the point about portals being "less eager to work with individual developers, because they have limited business development bandwidth". I'd posit that the same is true for developers too, as they may be eager to do a deal with an MSN Games/Yahoo games/etc, but not so much about doing individual contracts for a hundred lesser known sites in 10 countries that may sell a handful of units/year. So the distributor adds value in both directions.

Kim

---

Message: 1