[casual_games] Issues to think about in the casual game space -subsciptions and ARPU

James Gwertzman james at popcap.com
Sat Feb 10 11:34:38 EST 2007

Good catch, James.

You are right - I meant to define ARPU as "average revenue per user" not
unit.

As for "all you can eat" subscriptions, I've essentially convinced
myself by this point that all-you-can eat subscriptions have a place
alongside other business models, and that if they are designed correctly
they generated additional revenue vs. taking away revenue. Users segment
into many different categories, and the goal is to have a business model
designed for each category.

I do believe, however, that windowing can be used to minimize such
possible cannibalization and we try wherever we can to window new
content appropriately. It's the same as web-games; we do not release web
games at the same time we release download games for a reason as well.
There are users who might only play the web game if it were released the
same day as the download game, so we hold back the web game for 4-6
weeks... then when sales naturally start to flag of the original d/l
game to the early adopters we launch the web game to reach to the next
segment of users.

James Gwertzman

Director of Business Development

PopCap Games, Inc.