[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Sat Feb 10 13:06:19 EST 2007

SOme points to think about...I know I have.

1. You are probably right about patents having
an overall negative effect on the free flow of creative idea.

2. They are here and are not going to go away because you don't like them.

3. Patents built lasting bankable IP value in your studio.

4. If you do not patent it, someone else may.

For a long time I wanted nothing to do with
patents. But a solid reality check is in order
here. Like or hate em...do NOT ignore em. They
are an important part of your potential IP
portfolio and for sure ore valuable in the eyes
of investors and banks than even the most robust copyright ot trademark.

In short, this is no time to be making important
decisions based on the way you think the world
should be...better to make them based on a clear
understanding of how the world IS!

Tom B

At 02:46 PM 2/9/2007, you wrote:

>I think game play patents will be the death of creativity. Are you

>going to start suing members of this list? I know that comment sounds

>flippant, but it's a serious one that you should be prepared to answer

>and feel OK about.

>Ron

>Milt Michael wrote:

> > Although I'm no expert on patents, I am going forward with a patent

> > application for my game because I feel it contains new processes and

> > formulas that improve gameplay.

> > I'd sure like to hear from others who have gone down this road though!

> > Milt

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
The Game Attorney
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street, Suite 2100
Miami, FL 33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
and
23133 Vashon Highway SW
Vashon WA 98070
Tel (206) 463-9200
Fax (206) 463-9290
http://www.gameattorney.com
TOLL FREE 888-848-GLAW

Confidential: This email contains communications
protected by the attorney-client privilege and
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
§§ 2510, et seq. If you do not expect such a
communication from Thomas H. Buscaglia, please
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at
thb at intelaw.com of this inadvertent misdelivery.