[casual_games] Gameplay patents

John Viguerie clubvig at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 14:02:55 EST 2007

Quite an interesting thread...

I like the one from [adult swim]. I wonder how the
TimeWarner legal dept feels about it? Nevermind, I
think I know... just try to submit a game idea without
signing a Product Submission Agreeement.

Remember - post-facto, great ideas seem obvious.

If your idea is good enough to be "theft worthy", i.e.
its a truly innovative key piece of a future "hit", a
big company with a legal department and market power
is the prime candidate to wipe you out with your own
secret weapon.

I just dropped off a sixty-one page game technical
design document to my patent attorney yesterday - not
a single line of code - not a single pixel or vector
or even a formal graphic design treatment has been
performed... yet. Its just a much better conversation
with publishers/distributors/investors when your ducks
are in a row.

Nobody cares about misses, but hits will spawn a
thousand copycats.

If you don't have a patent attorney, make friends with
one. The ones I know work on stuff that is so
unbelieveably tedious and boring that they're happy to
READ A WELL CONSTRUCTED GAME DESIGN DOCUMENT for you
and offer a non-binding opinion before spending money
authoring foolish claims.

Admittedly, because of my licensed software and music
entertainment background, I think patents, copyrights
and trademarks "make the world go 'round." The EFF is
not buttering MY bread. There's a great book on the
subject by Pat Choate called "Hot Property: The
Stealing of Ideas in the Age of Globalization".

Don't get ripped-off. It's a bitter pill to swallow
when it happens, and it happens plenty.

John Viguerie
Character Media

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8