[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Sat Feb 10 14:55:39 EST 2007

As an exercise - Let's imagine what the casual game space would be like
if PopCap (based on Bejwelled) had received a patent for a system of
game play where three matching objects formed a chain that was removed
when combined - and all permutations there of (think - a patent that
would cover all match-3 based games).

Now let's imagine that patent wasn't awarded until 3 years after
Bejewelled came out (patents are valid for 25 years from the application
date, not the award date) and they decided to start going after everyone
with a match-3 variant.

I'm not sure if I think that would have been a good thing or a bad thing
but I think we'd have a lot of different titles in the Top 10 lists
today and quite possibly a lot fewer companies in the space.

We'd definitely have a lot more legal fees ;)

Tom