[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Adultswim Games games at adultswim.com
Tue Feb 13 10:48:23 EST 2007

I'm sure the TimeWarner Legal Dept would be all for patenting anything patentable. As you said, they would likely see it as risk management. But trying to say that Mario should have patented the Platformer mechanic is just ludicrous. Then all we'd end up with is Mario games.

As for our Product Submission Agreement, that's something that's supposed to protect both parties from malfeasance during the initial pitch phase. Signing one signifies absolutely zero exchange of ownership.

I think IP ownership is a different story, and while not patentable either, should be vigorously protected. But slapping patents on things like game play is, as someone said earlier, much like slapping a patent on a movie so it can be the only franchise to do a "buddy cop" film. Just ridiculous.