[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Sat Feb 10 14:11:26 EST 2007

The lawyers will almost certainly make more money than the developers -
in the course of my career that is always how it has gone. I've always
been content that the law stating that you can't patent gameplay would
be enough to protect me. I guess it's time to incorporate so that if
things do get ugly I can just walk away and find something else to do
with my time. Patents are useful for protecting deep, expensive
scientific endeavours where there is huge risk involved. Frankly,
nothing any of us are doing merits a patent.

Didn't wake up cranky but the whole patent thing gets me going. In the
case of software it is a process of the strong pushing the weak out with
money instead of new development.

Oddly this is the week that I found a pretty direct clone of one of my
titles. I've also spent a lot of the last year working out the kinks in
a game that didn't directly expand upon a previous mechanic I know
about. But better that all of my stuff gets cloned than I wander around
spending my creative time (the reason I am in this business) trying to
figure out who in the wide world may have already staked some claim to
something I am dreaming up.

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
P. July & August 518-863-2317
5014 Walsh, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4H2