[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Daniel James d at djames.org
Sat Feb 10 15:32:09 EST 2007

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Milt Michael wrote:

> My purpose for patenting is to add value for investors.

I believe that you are mistaken if you think that any sensible investor
would prefer to have you spending your time and their money on tiresome
legal paperwork rather than actual product development and execution.

I have had prospective investors ask about patents. They were not
sensible.

Success cases in casual and core games, along with movies, internet
media sites and many other examples have all come down to quality of
execution rather than tiresome time-wasting legal machinations. Patents
are an often-abused tool designed to allow technological inventors to
enjoy a brief monopoly on innovations at the price of legal bureaucracy
and sharing the implementation details back with their competitors.

Even for the real examples of this kind of innovation in the game space
(e.g. I believe Harmonix has some patents on aspects of Guitar Hero's
underlying technology) the patent has absolutely nothing to do with
success -- making a quality experience is the number one thing (probably
followed by marketing/distribution, with competitive worries coming a
distant third or fifth). Anything that distracts from the main thing is,
imho, a boondoggle.

> I don't see how it stifles creativity

For the patent to be at all meaningful you are going to have to spend
your time writing letters to and/or suing other game developers. Given
that the only ones worth (pur)suing have somehow executed on your idea
in a way that makes them commercially successful, therefore they have
arguably been creative in *some* way, it seems to me that the only point
of a patent is to stifle their creativity *and* yours, because;

> (other than the time it takes)

Time is your most precious commodity.

- Daniel, also riled by patents

CEO | Three Rings | http://thefloggingwillcontinue.com/