[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Sun Feb 11 07:11:47 EST 2007

The substantial amount of time and money to get the patent approved is
*nothing* compared to what it will take to defend it.
The patent itself doesn't really give any protection, only when tried in
court will you know if it's solid. It probably isn't (although your lawyer
will work very, very hard to write a specification that is impossible to
interpret), and then you'll only be left with a huge pile of lawyer bills.

But it's true some investors like software patents, however ridiculous
they may be - it looks good on paper and adds a whiff of the "serious"
research-intense industries.

If I feel like infringing on your patent, I will assess your financial
status and if I think I have more resources than you, I'll simply ignore
it. With more money, I'll wear you out in court, if it comes to that.