[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Sun Feb 11 16:52:40 EST 2007

I'm not advocating this (yet) but it's something that I've been chewing on
since I posted my question about PopCap yesterday.

Why not patent gameplay? If someone had patented Match-3 for casual,
wouldn't the space be better off? Do we really need 300 variants on that
theme? Wouldn't it be great if the inability to make another match-3 variant
was removed - and that caused people to think about other games to make
instead of ripping off the "proven" way? Wouldn't we end up with a greater
variation in games on the portals, less dilution of brands, and a much more
healthy industry?

Tom

_____