[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Chris Dillman chrisd at plaidworld.com
Sun Feb 11 18:00:17 EST 2007

>I'm not advocating this (yet) but it's something that I've been

>chewing on since I posted my question about PopCap yesterday.

>Why not patent gameplay? If someone had patented Match-3 for casual,

>wouldn't the space be better off? Do we really need 300 variants on

>that theme? Wouldn't it be great if the inability to make another

>match-3 variant was removed - and that caused people to think about

>other games to make instead of ripping off the "proven" way?

>Wouldn't we end up with a greater variation in games on the portals,

>less dilution of brands, and a much more healthy industry?

You know I would love to think that would happen.
More innovation...

Instead reality sets in and what I see looking back software patent
history are things like people patenting chase cameras.

Do you really want to have to pay patent fee just to ship a basic 3d game?
Forget about even getting to the innovative part of things.

If that made sense....

/me needs coffee.

--
Plaid World Studios http://www.plaidworld.com