[casual_games] Gameplay patents

John Viguerie clubvig at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 17:37:02 EST 2007

Sorry I got lost and didn't answer the question:
structure of a game design doc.

I start with the following sections:
AUDIENCE: Who am I building this game for? If the
answer is "everybody" then your work is not done. We
live in a demographically and psychographically
fragmented world (500 channels on cable). Its not the
1950's (three channels) or even the 1980's (13
channels)anymore. Today's entertainment enterprises
build products from the audience to the studio, not
the other way around.

TEAM: Does the team have enough representation from or
specific knowledge/experience relevant to the audience
to be successful, besides the tech or creative skills?
This part is upfront because ideas without execution
are worthless. The audience reading this document
want to know about the capacity to execute, not a
pie-in-the-sky.

MARKET: The most extensive section of the document,
because, well, building a great marketing plan is as
important as building a great game, unless you're
building it for yourself and then you can ignore the
market.

STRATEGY AND IMPLEMENTATION: This part is the WHY?'s
as opposed to the previous sections (the WHAT?'s).
There are decisions and rationales about the marketing
approach in this part. Possibly contains launch,
customer acquisition, and promotion strategies based
on the previous sections.

PRODUCT: As a matter of discipline, this goes last.
The exercise of completing the sections in this order
is meant to refine the product spec and identify any
mis-matches between the audience, their behavior
patterns, the distribution channels, the technology,
the ecosystem partners, the team and the product. BTW
this is not "we are using XXXX engine" which would be
putting the cart before the horse. I would save that
for a "Detailed Physical Architecture and Tools"
document which, for me, is separate, distinct, and
subsequent exercise.

1.0 AUDIENCE: Overview
1.1 AUDIENCE: Objectives
1.2 AUDIENCE: Mission
1.3 AUDIENCE: Keys to Success

2.0 Production Team Summary
2.1 Production Team
2.3 Production Team Skills, Locations and Facilities

3.0 Market Analysis Summary
3.1 Market Segmentation
3.2 Target Market Segment Strategy
3.2.1 Market Needs
3.2.2 Market Trends
3.2.3 Market Growth
3.2.4 Online Casual Gaming Statistics
3.3 Online Casual Market Analysis Summary
3.3.1 Online Casual Market Trends
3.3.2 Online Casual Market Growth
3.4 Online Casual Gaming Industry Analysis
3.4.2 Distribution Patterns
3.4.3 Competition and Buying Patterns
3.4.4 Main Competitors

4.0 Strategy and Implementation Summary
4.1 Strategic Underpinning of the Game Concept
4.2 Value Proposition
4.3 Competitive Edge
4.4 Marketing Strategy
4.4.1 Positioning Statements
4.4.2 Pricing Strategy
4.4.3 Promotion Strategy
4.4.4 Distribution Patterns
4.4.5 Marketing Programs
4.5 Sales Strategy
4.5.1 Sales Forecast
4.5.2 Sales Programs
4.6 Strategic Alliances

5.0 Flagship Product
5.1 Product Description
5.2 Competitive Comparison
5.2.1 Existing Comparable Online Casual Games
5.3 Pre-Production and Production Technology
5.4 Spinoffs - Future Products and Services
5.4.1 Other Brand Extension Possibilities
5.5 Graphic Design Treatments
5.6 Logical Game Architecture

Yeah, a lotta work and "marketing b.s." goes into
this. But once completed and fine-tuned, this
structure provides a solid foundation for managing the
execution of the development and marketing, and maybe
even the financing and distribution agreeements.

Good Luck.

http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010373383720242846960%3Az3tdwggxil8

http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Casual_Games_SIG/Casual_Games_List_FAQ