[casual_games] Question About Adobe/Macromedia Director as a Development Platform....

Charles Parcell cparcell at toxictoy.com
Tue Feb 13 16:55:18 EST 2007

I did intend to send it to the whole group. I had started writing it as
a response directly to you, but then decided to get the whole groups
ideas and opinions on the top. I just never rewrote the opening
sentence. There seem to be a lot of former and current Director
developers on the list and this might be a rare chance to poll everyone
on this topic.

Personally, I see a lot of parallel in your response and my own wish
list for the potential future versions of Director. But I also wonder if
all the features you listed truly fall under the "game development"
umbrella. I can see several of the features as being used on a rare case
within a game but not a "meat" feature in the game development realm.

Case in point would be the nested time line (akin to Flash). This is
more of a workflow feature rather than anything else (in my mind).

Another one would be the improved Flash performance within Director. To
what degree does everyone use Flash within Director? Is Director used
more as a wrapper for Flash? Is Flash mostly an animation media within
Director? Widgets? Other? My thought on Flash within Director is that
it is nice to have but at what point does developing in Flash become the
more logical choice (in respect to utilizing Flash within Director)? I
think to real question at that point becomes, how can Director be
enhanced so that Flash is no longer needed as an imported media type?

Charles P.