[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Wed Feb 14 04:02:26 EST 2007

There are _many_ problems with patents when applied to software, but they're
all caused be the processes that are in place for a system that is
antiquated. The system just can't handle the fact that the industry moves
about 10x faster than it can handle. The result is a pure mess that's
horrible for everyone involved.

We _should_ be able to patent UNIQUE game play. We _should_ be able to
leverage some form of legal protection to stem the tide of rampant copycats
that is absolutely destroying the casual games industry (buy me a drink at
GDC and I'll talk your ear off about this topic). However, the current
patent system is woefully inadequate for the task and the one group that
could do something about copycats (the portals) have no financial incentive
for doing so (they're turning to advertising to solve the financial problems
they create).

There's almost no value in patenting unique game play in casual. It will be
roughly 3 years before you can exercise the protection and by then 50 (100?)
or more knock offs will have been created, the companies that created them
will have gone out of business or have liquidated all tangible assets, and
the damage caused both to the patent holder and the industry in general will
have long since past the point of relevant action.

You can debate whether patents are evil or not till your blue in the face,
but given the current system it's totally irrelevant since patents are
basically ineffectual in casual games (and to a lesser extent games in
general). At best you can hope for an increased valuation by some investors,
but as Daniel James points out, they're probably not the kind of investors
you want anyway.

For my own two cents - patents aren't evil, they're just horribly broken.

Tom