[casual_games] Question About Adobe/Macromedia Director as a Development Platform....

Duck duck at robotduck.com
Wed Feb 14 12:33:27 EST 2007

Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 6:13:19 PM, E. wrote:

EDB> Has anyone on this list TOUCHED director, in the last 3-4 years?

Hi, my name's Ben - till now been an interested lurker, but I had to respond to this since I've been using Director to make 3D Shockwave games (mostly advergames) back to back for the last few years with Director. Here's some screenshots:

http://dev.skivecreative.com/duck/screenshots/

For a long time it's been the most viable solution for delivering 3d on the web, no other plugin has come close to its level of penetration. Ironically enough they often get mistaken for flash games (if message board comments are anything to go by).

While the comments about Macromedia letting it become dated are valid, it's still very good for rapid production of apps and games, and I'm very pleased about Adobe's promise to focus the next version of Director on game development in particular. Most of the games featured in the screenshots link above were produced in under four months, usually with a 3 man team (coder, 3d modeller, 2d graphic designer).

- Ben