[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Wed Feb 14 13:11:53 EST 2007

I don't agree with your last sentence Adam. We got from Wolf 3d to
Unreal Tournament - IMHO pretty clearly a good thing as far as FPS
players are concerned - because id software did not (in fact, quite
likely Carmack created some of his competitors with his amazing code
release policy) stop future innovation and enhancement upon which
consumers got more and better products that they seemed happy to
purchase. Many people were employed and new and strong companies were
built.

IMHO this is the strength of capitalism - somebody makes something that
sticks so many people dive in and figure out how to make a better mouse
trap. The very powerful computers we are now all enjoying came about
because of this very marketplace mechanic - if early developers had been
given technology patents that were too broad then we most surely would
not be where we are today.

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
P. July & August 518-863-2317
5014 Walsh, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4H2