[casual_games] Possible List Exercise: Watch me develop a small casual game... ^_^

oscar oscar oscar.oscar.oscar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:06:16 EST 2007

Hi, everyone.

Just got back from a _top secret_ mission in Florida (stupid NDA for a bad
idea for a game)... no worries.

I'm about to get a small portfolio up and running of the games I designed
for Zapspot, oh so many years ago.

But the portfolio consists of games that are... like ... 6 years old. On a
platform that constricted my ability to express myself fully... to say
nothing of the fact that each game was conceived and produced under the
constraint of a 3 week dev cycle.

T'was heck on Earth.

I need a _better_ way to seek out game projects, to expand my skill set...
to experiment, and to get constructive feedback from members of the field I
am reentering.

So I had an idea... of sorts.

I spent a few days "speculating" a game I wanted to do for ages... but never
really gelled in my head.

Now, since I'm dying to get AS3(flash)coding in my skillset, and have not
programmed anything in ages... why not:

Establish an "open" idea. (no "ownership" of ideas... can't own an idea,
really... execution tho...)

Hammer out a spec. (so people can look at my spec style and help me improve)

Then on a daily(semi-daily) basis maintain a development diary. (whilst I
execute on my idea)

This way I could make some connections to individuals who could honestly
critique my processes.

Would you, the esteemed list membership, have ANY interest in watching me
learn to execute the development of games I used to merely plan?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Oscar
ps- happy valentines.