[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Alex Amsel tuna at tunatech.com
Wed Feb 14 14:25:14 EST 2007

Interesting debate on patents but I do have some more thoughts.

Tom, I honestly think you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think
that's how it would work. I've got experience with big publishers, and
their legal depts. If gameplay could be patented, rightly or wrongly
they would chase down ANYONE coming close to what they have. Some do
anyway, mentioning no names. That's what big business does even when
they are in the wrong. I also know from experience that David vs Goliath
legal action is not something you enter into lightly, however right you
may be.

The other thing you seem to have forgotten is that the corporates would
have depts dedicated to creating & patenting, just as happens in other
industries. In a creative industry like ours, that would be an
incredibly bad thing. Imagine if an artist patented a particular art
style - in my mind that's what you're saying. Now yes, I know there is
some protection in patent law about this, but can you fight a court
battle? Probably not.

Patents are not for gameplay. This is regardless of the pros and cons of
the patenting system, which isn't perfect.

As for clones - yes it's annoying but that just means you have to have
more than a good idea, you need to implement it well too.

Zuma and Luzor vs Puzz Loop. Neither would have happened without Puzz
Loop, but Puzz Loop (IMHO) is not a great game. Zuma and Luxor are
superb. The core gameplay mechanic is the same and I'm pretty sure
patenting the technique would have meant those "clones" not appearing.

Remember, there are good clones and bad ones. It's all about creating
content that your audience wants, and about implementation of ideas.
Anyone who's been in the industry for a while will tell you that ideas
are in plentiful supply, implementation of them is not.

--

Alex Amsel
Tuna Technologies Ltd (Sheffield, UK)