[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Israel C. Evans elmlish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:08:05 EST 2007

An additional thought:

This Damage that you refer to in your posts Tom, is something that I think
is new and fairly specific to business done on the internet. Before
everyone in the connected world could talk to everyone else in the connected
world and sell them junk, it was much much more difficult and cost
prohibitive to bring a cheap clone to market and have it noticed by the
entire connected world. There have always been knock off competitors,
they've just never before now had the ability to reach the exact same size
of audience with a cost of next to nothing.

We're all in the same big room here and it's suddenly obvious that many of
us went to the same mega mart and have put on the same outfit. How
embarrassing!

I believe the affects of this newish dynamic have yet to be played out and
I'm fairly certain that the old way of doing things will not be the best
solution.

Apart from the burden of far too many choices, these developments are nearly
certain to be better for the customer. Some portals, to help with this
burden of choice, have begun to cull their libraries. Of course, the story
for developers isn't as rosy as it is for the customers, what with the
culling and the cloning. Clamping down though is likely to just bring about
a bad reputation.

~Israel