[casual_games] Clones in casual (was RE: Gameplay patents)

Tom Hubina tomh at mofactor.com
Wed Feb 14 18:46:52 EST 2007

Daniel,

I do think that the portals ensure that each title they put up is of
reasonable quality - sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

As for creating something that cannot be easily cloned - I haven't yet seen
an example. The only thing that I've seen suggested that would limit cloning
is inherently higher production costs. While certain folks can do that, it's
far from an industry wide solution and one that I don't think is
sustainable. Puzzle Pirates can be cloned - but the costs and perceived
revenues prevent it. If Puzzle Pirates had made 15m instead 3m as of May
2006, I suspect we'd see one or two clones by now ;)

(I just read the link and I couldn't agree with you more in your assessment
- and I will attempt to do a better job of distinguishing downloadable vs
casual games. It's easy to fall into the trap.)

Tom