[casual_games] Clones in casual

Ricky Haggett ricky at morpheme.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 02:40:11 EST 2007

> As for creating something that cannot be easily cloned - I haven't yet

> seen

> an example. The only thing that I've seen suggested that would limit

> cloning

> is inherently higher production costs.

Most clones so far have been of games which don't rely on a large amount of
varying art assets, and where the levels can be generated programmatically
with a simple algorithm.

There are a number of properties of a game that would make it considerably
more difficult to clone, and while I agree that higher production costs are
a factor, I don't think there's a direct relationship between the dev cost
for a game and its cloneability. Creative developers should consider what it
is they can do - relatively inexpensively - to give themselves a competitive
advantage over uncreative developers seeking to piggyback their work.

Here are some of those properties off the top of my head:

- reliance on hand-designed levels, so the player feels like they are
solving a problem that another person has designed for them.
- reliance on a large amount of high-quality artwork.
- inclusion of a well-written, well-presented story.
- inclusion of strong characters (and perhaps even their development).
- an online community providing social play.

I don't think that all of these properties necessarily imply spiralling
production costs.

Ricky