[casual_games] promotion

Lee Crawford crawford at twofish.com
Tue Jan 2 21:18:16 EST 2007

The portals do indeed have limited promotional inventory and most have poor
algorithms for optimizing use of that inventory. Often it's either fixed or
deterministically rotated. The question is whether or not this is the way
they'll go as they get smarter about using their inventory.

At the risk of stating the obvious, consumers click on the links they see
first and promoted games see correspondingly higher traffic than less- or
non-promoted games Conversion rate per title tends to be stable over the
lifetime of a game on a given portal (audience effect) so its very much in
the interests of the publisher/developer to try and maximize the promotional
inventory they receive. Basically, revenue per title tends to be linearly
proportional to the level of promotion received (ignoring saturation effects
and assuming fixed conversion based on quality). Promoting game A instead of
game B cannibalizes would-be game B purchases and shifts those dollars into
game A purchases (conversion rates being equal).

In the absence of MDF-like fees, the portals are better off focusing on
favoring high-converting games with their promotional inventory. And in the
mid-term I think you have to assume that they get smarter and start to
optimize in this fashion. Otherwise, what we're talking about here is just
compensating a portal (in higher margins) to promote a lower-conversion game
and/or to shift rev. share dollars from partner B to partner A.

--lee