[casual_games] If Vista is going to be such a problem...

Chuck Walbourn chuckw at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 3 17:50:15 EST 2007

> Both error messages make no mention of parental controls being enabled as the reason the game link is broken which is

>certain to be very confusing to any consumers who encounter these errors.

>From the dialogs, this is not Parental Controls or even the Game Explorer offering to delete stuff for you. This is the shell trying to "help" with broken links. The Microsoft game shortcut links are marked as part of your basic install, so the inability to reach that link is being assumed by the shell to indicate "bad things have happened to your OS".

Can you provide (offlist is fine) some repro details, because if you try to launch a locked game from the Game Explorer Folder itself, you should be getting a more obvious error message? Are you trying to use the short-cut directly from a File Explorer window or via a console launch? What you are seeing is either a bug in the OS itself, a bad install, or a misconfiguration of the Game Explorer. It certainly isn't the intended design, which is why I said originally that Parental Controls makes no effort to hide unrated or blocked games. In fact, we specifically show the game in the Game Explorer with a padlock icon to indicate that the game is installed fine, but is not accessible due to the Parental Controls settings.

-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, Game Technology Group