[casual_games] slamdance competition

Capo Taco IGDA at CapoTaco.com
Wed Jan 10 11:54:38 EST 2007

At 05:43 PM 1/10/2007, you wrote:

>So, a September 11 Flight Simulator would "[deepen and refine] the

>understanding" of terrorism? I couldn't disagree more with the logic

>behind that.

>Let's face it, art can be pretty much any old crap you have lying around

>just as long as you can justify it with an intellectual reasoning - and

>it's usually the bad artists that get the most publicity by using dead

>things cut in half to pass off as something 'thought provoking' to the

>other pseudo intellectuals. Oh goody a 'what is art' conversation! ;)

>This argument about 'slamdance don't respect our art' is coming from

>developers having that 'starving artist nobody appreciates me'

>mentality. Slamdance pulled it because the game concept and

>sensationalist schlock title was offensive to anyone with a soul.

>Nothing more. Had Danny made a game that dealt with the subject properly

>instead of going for schlock value, I'd give him respect.

>You can't name a game like that and then turn around and try to justify

>it as art when you get your ass kicked out of a competition!

>JeffM.

I agree that nothing should be protected 'just because it is art'.
The very word 'art' can indeed be any old crap and some of the time
it doesn't even need intellectual reasoning. But this game, even
though it is a simple one, has some very unique very important points
it's making. And unless you try it, you won't understand it. And
that's what good art is, not necessarily pretty, but you're different
after you've consumed it. To me, this was art. To you, it might still
be crap. But you won't know until you try it.

It's obvious that you haven't tried this game, yet. So who are you to
judge a game you haven't played?
You said " I don't remember the last award winning true-story film
about how much fun massacring school kids can be"
Why are you assuming that playing this game is fun? Why are you
assuming that the massacring in the game is fun?

But I don't mean to stir up the discussion about this further. But
please, try and be brave and try this game. Then tell us it's crap
and I will believe you think it's crap and will remember it so that I
will then realize that others that tried it think it's crap too.
At that point, you will have made an informed opinion.