[casual_games] slamdance competition

Tom Edwards (Englobe) tomedw at englobe.com
Wed Jan 10 16:57:31 EST 2007

In somewhat brief response to the comments on this issue, since this is the
kind of thing I often deal with specifically, I think a lot of excellent
points have been raised pro and con. Certainly there are issues of "art" and
"free speech" to consider, as well as "social taste" and "exploitation". As
is the case with any type of game, both the ability to adequately prove your
*intent* as a game developer and the ability to produce a solid *defense* of
your content choices are key before ever releasing something to the global
stream. Seeking public provocation is a pretty easy thing to achieve with
inflammatory titles and blatantly offensive subject matter choices, from
this title to JFK Reloaded to a host of other similar titles. It wouldn't
take much to come up with a game that could offend just about any culture in
any locale. Many others games have achieved a more sophisticated form of
social commentary by developing effective satire and parody to make their
statements, without opting for the ease of provoking a knee-jerk for the
sake of attention however I can't and won't assume what the developers had
in mind with this specific example. The bottom line is that if you're unable
to have a clear, thoughtful defense of your intentions - based on a
well-researched political, cultural, sociological standing - then the end
result is likely to yield nothing but negativity. If this was "art" for the
sake of art, then perhaps such works should be more clearly
announced/labeled/described as such.

As some have expressed already, in my view the worst side effect of such
efforts is that the "unintended" audiences - like many parents and
legislators - will perceive it only as the most horrific example of a video
game and only use it to further fuel the "games are evil" backlash. It
doesn't help the specific developers (except perhaps their flash in the pan
PR), it doesn't help groups like the ESA and IGDA who are constantly
striving to wake up the unintended audiences to what games are about and it
certainly doesn't help the image of the game industry as a whole. I'm all
for the use of gaming technology as an unrestricted art form, but I believe
that many developers forget that those "unintended" audiences out there are
lagging far behind in their understanding of what a game is and could be.

Thank you,

Tom Edwards
Geoculturalist & Principal Consultant
Englobe Inc.