[casual_games] slamdance competition

Alex Amsel tuna at tunatech.com
Thu Jan 11 05:25:15 EST 2007

So far I've managed to stay out of this conversation but I'll chip in
with my thoughts.

- Many you (and I) haven't played the game. Don't judge what you haven't
played and what you don't know about. This is no better than those who
judge many satirical or clever films or comedies. Those in the UK will
know what I mean when I say that it's very "Daily Mail". With most of
these things, once you investigate the matter you'll probably find it's
much more complex than you thought.

- To say a small indie title can have nothing useful to say is
completely wrong. Sorry Jeff, I think this is to misunderstand art
generally, and also isn't fair to a lot of developers out there.
Democracy and Kudos are interesting in their own right for example.

- People argue all the time about what art is. I'm a terribly typical
"logical " person who gets annoyed at some artists getting funding for
the most ridiculous things, however, I'm now a little more involved in
the art scene in Sheffield due to my better half, and it's actually
quite interesting. There's a lot of people who like to talk
about/see/own these "wastes of time", as much as some funding still goes
to rather silly productions. It may not be art or useful to you, but it
is to others. Remember that many people out there see games as the
devil's work or a waste of time and money too.

- The game is apparently not for profit, and that does make a difference
to me. This isn't someone cashing in.

- Making a game/film/whatever about a real-life occurrence, however
nasty, is completely acceptable to me. I'm sorry if this offends anyone
out there, but it's part of the understanding & recovery process in some
ways. It doesn't make what happened "ok", but it does start to take of
the "we can't talk about it" mentality, and that's important for
society. Even if a game is crude and horrible, this is a free society.
Supposedly.

- As regards the festival, I can only think some pressure was brought to
bare on them, but I guess the truth will out.

Hopefully I've not managed to offend anyone here!

Alex

--

Alex Amsel
Tuna Technologies Ltd (Sheffield, UK)