[casual_games] Why We Need Women

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Thu Jan 11 22:24:41 EST 2007

At LucasArts, when I was there, the percentaqe of women in the company
was around 50%, and on my last team, about 35% of us actual developers
were women, including 2 programmers (one a co-lead), my lead artist,
several modelers, a level designer, a couple of production assistants,
and my voice editor. They were all supersolid. Not all were dedicated
gamers, but many were. It was a pleasure to work with them. So not all
companies are starved for women. I know women developers from several
other companies as well, so LucasArts certainly isn't unique.

In my opinion, curmudgeon that I am, crude social engineering will not
produce a change in the dynamic of our biz: talented and capable women
who actually want to put forth the effort to design and build games,
hopefully appealing to other women as well as men and boys, will
self-select, find the companies that will harbor and nurture them, and
someday go forth to do great things.

Let's not worry too much about this. Out of a multi-trillion-dollar
economy in the good old USA, games generate mere billions. Budweiser
does more business selling beer. So whether women are fairly
represented among us means almost nothing in the larger scheme of
things. Opportunities abound. Can we blame high school girls if they'd
rather become doctors and lawyers than game developers?

The game biz is what it is, and is already turning, albeit slowly, into
what it will be. When I look around, contrary to Mr. Carella, I see
women joining up in droves. Someday I expect women's perspectives to
enlarge and ennoble the gaming landscape, but it seems far from tragic
that this wonderful moment hasn't quite arrived.

And my advice is: hire people who are competent, whatever color or
gender. You'll be a yard ahead.

Hal