[casual_games] More good news on Vista!

Dave Selle Dave.Selle at wildtangent.com
Thu Jan 25 13:58:33 EST 2007

Just a point on the save game: In vista if a game writes data such as
save games or config files to the program files directory these will
eventually get virtualized per user under Vista which can create
problems with users "losing" this data or even game crashes.

For example if a user runs a game immediately after install (an option
provided by many titles) they will be running with elevated permissions
and any "program files" save data will not be virtualized on the first
run.

However, the next time they come back to play the game it will launch
with non-elevated permissions and the data written to program files
*will* be virtualized per user and from their perspective the save game
data at this point has disappeared--so the users who liked to do the
jump drive solution will not be able to use it the same way they had
previously in any case.

Many failure modes that we are seeing for games and their DRM occur on
second run--frequently it just won't launch: to the user this clicking
on the icon and having nothing happen.

For the games this is often related the elevation issues noted above.
We're not always sure which link in the chain is breaking to cause the
DRM and game client failures we are seeing (sometimes in can be hard to
tell if it's the game or the DRM) but we do know from our own experience
that there is real engineering required to provide reliable and smooth
functioning DRM and game client solutions with a good user experience in
Vista.

--Dave