[casual_games] Mmmm this game sounds familiar...

NL nlazz at xeodesign.com
Mon Jul 9 22:20:08 EDT 2007

Inspired by Jaun's thread on iPhone games I designed a casual game
called Tilt at iPhone Dev Camp this weekend with Joe Hewitt (code)
and Colin Toomey (art).

Tilt an iPhone Motion Game

Tilt is a game in 1.5D. There's a description and demo of it here:
http://www.xeodesign.com/games/tilt
(the linked demo's only playable on the iPhone - unless your laptop tilts! =)

Developed over a weekend, Tilt's just a demo right now (i.e. no level
design ;). We'll be working more on it this week. I will be talking
about it and showing a more complete version at my talk next Monday
at Casual Connect.

Joe blogs about how we made it here: http://www.joehewitt.com/

Info on iPhone Dev Camp is here: https://barcamp.org/iPhoneDevCampHackAThon

I wanted to design a casual game that created a true iPhone PX
(player experience). I was looking for player emotions coming from
what I saw and heard during the interviews I conducted of people in
iPhone Lines a little over a week ago. The core mechanic had to
create the same emotions and deliver the kind of fun that people
would expect from an iPhone game. There's not much to work with, but
Joe's navigation hack was enough to get us started.

Lessons learned over 36 hours: Web games on the iPhone are
challenging, but not impossible. Paper prototypes really helped
explore ideas for the new motion mechanics and were very viral
inspiring other teams like the Red/Green team. iPhone games can work
even without Flash and a keyboard. The big obstacles for us were
having to hack Safari to simulate motion control and not having
audio. Having no web audio is a big deal for games!

See you in Seattle!

Nicole

._.. . _ ... .__. ._.. ._ _.__

Nicole Lazzaro / President, XEODesign, Inc. / Player Experience Design (tm)
www.xeodesign.com / nicole @ xeodesign.com / w:510.658.8077 f:510.658.2659

Players don't want "reality"
They want choices that make them feel deeply - like real life does.

Got iPhone? Play Tilt the world's first motion controlled game for the iPhone
http://www.xeodesign.com/tilt.html

Play Talks
Free Podcast Now Up on Game Theory
http://www.gametheoryshow.com/index.php?post_id=216328#