[casual_games] Recommended game dimensions for online games

Andy Makely rendermouse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:17:36 EDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Paul Steven <paul_steven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Are there any recommendations for the dimensions of online games?

By "online", I presume you mean Flash games, and not downloadable network
games. If so, the answer depends on the game project.

If you build Flash games using Actionscript 3, I would say that you could go
up to 800x600, because AS3 has code for drawing graphics at a faster rate
than AS2. If you try to build a scrolling fast-action Flash game at 800x600
with AS2 you'll have a REAL challenge getting it to maintain an acceptable
framerate. Trust me on this one. But if the game is more casual, it's
certainly possible.

If you try and get Flash to go 1024x768, I believe that you're going to have
framerate or performance issues with any advanced gameplay or complex
animation, regardless of which version of ActionScript you use. Flash is
software-rendered, so no matter what video card your user has, the
performance of the Flash player itself is still going to be your main
bottleneck.

--
andy makely