[casual_games] Sales, Exposure and Profitability

James C. Smith james at reflexive.net
Mon Jun 25 17:09:41 EDT 2007

One minor correction is that most games sell for much less than $20. $20
is the "list price" for most games, but most customers end up getting a
discount by using a subscription, by purchasing games in bundles, or waiting
for game to go on sale. Most portals pay royalties based on these discounted
prices rather than taking the discount out of their portion. When a
developer gets a royalty check form some major portals they will find their
game sold for an average sale price of much closer to $10. But there are
still a few portals who sell all games at full list price all the time or
take any discounts out of the portals portion and pay the developer 30% of
the full price.

On average you should plan for something a lot closer to 30% of $10 rather
than $20.

James C. Smith

www.Game-Sales-Charts.com