[casual_games] Prior knowledge or links on licensing fees?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sat Mar 10 12:03:01 EST 2007

G'day. I don't know the verbiage for what I'm asking.

Given a unique casual game engine/framework, and a desire to license the
game engine/framework to other sites for their use, some questions:

* the source is not compilable, so releasing it for use on someone
else's server (like a Flash app) is not possible. How horrific
is it to force a licensee to use our own servers (either through
yourcompany.ourcompany.com or via ourengine.yourcompany.com)?
The licensee would still have control over appearance and
community functions, but there'd be little integration with
their own site and technology (save for visual aspects).

* is licensing a one-time fee or a duration based timeframe?

* how are version upgrades, or feature enhancements, to the
engine handled? free upgrades for X months, and $Y after?

* what type of support contracts to the engine do people expect?
do they expect the game to work out of the box (which, in
this case, is "odd" because the /content/ of the game is
a licensee-customizable thing) or do they expect to tweak
the engine and rulesets and code to their own needs? are
there different type of conditions for each contract?
how does this affect the cost of the license?

* what would you expect to pay for a license
and what would you expect from it?

I realize these are hopelessly wide-open questions that require lots of
further clarification, so if there's prior art or documentation on this,
I'd love to be link-bombarded. Licensing is simply not an area I've
dealt with before.

--
Morbus Iff ( i still fail to see what this has to do with morocco )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus