[casual_games] Res: Game design document

Allen R Partridge allen.partridge at iup.edu
Wed Mar 21 09:28:05 EDT 2007

I'm curious about how people handle the transition between the
conceptual / marketing aspects and the actual implementation of the
game. IOW, to what extent do you attempt to design architecture,
feature implementation etc. into the GDD?

Do folks generally pass a feature list on to the programming team and
then leave that up to them, or is architecture generally designed as
part of the GDD and the programming team then simply following the
path laid out in the GDD?

One other thing that I would add is that for me the GDD is very much a
living document. While it constantly challenges me to avoid feature
creep, I have yet to see the game that didn't want some tweaking along
the way? Do others let the game emerge in this fashion or is common
practice to simply follow the document, regardless of the process?

--al