[casual_games] Res: Game design document

Nic Cusworth info at medullacorp.com
Wed Mar 21 09:51:34 EDT 2007

For me the transition from pitch to GDD is pretty smooth. If you image the
situation is like this:

Pitch Doc = This is what we want to do and it's going to be cool
GDD = This how we are going to do it and make sure it's cool

It's pretty organic if you go through the 3 steps of pitch - concept - GDD.
You are just expanding on idea.

As for working with the programming (or art teams), I have never produced a
task list for a programmer. A good Lead Programmer will go through your GDD,
flagging potential issues and generating the tasks.

A lot of the time this is not a bad as it sounds. So long as your studio has
done a few titles you should have enough base tech to get going. It might be
that this new game will stretch your existing animation engine so time is
scheduled to update that.

Games get done by having a good pipeline. So long as the artists can get
their work into the game and the designers have enough access the engine to
affect the world (through scripting and editor) - the game will come
together.

A GDD really just flags where a programming teams efforts should be focused
from day one.

GDD's (in my experience) are organic to a point. You have to sign off and
say we will make THIS game and try not to add anything else. At that points
it's a designers job to make sure the 'vision' is implemented as best as
possible.

Obviously things do change in development but they are usually because of
the schedule. I.E. a player mechanic or level may be dropped because it will
make the project slip.

Nic.