[casual_games] Use of keyboard on casual games

Pedro Honório Silva pedro.silva at ignite-games.com
Wed May 30 13:39:48 EDT 2007

I totally agree with Oscar here.

I know that Publishers/Distributors tend to “only bet on the winning horse”,
which include really simple (yet amusing) games for their audience.
Therefore the independent game developer companies tend to develop games
that they often don’t really enjoy doing just to satisfy the market’s
apparent desires.

However, we at Ignite believe that an increasing number of people is getting
more interested on different kinds of games, less simple, yet still amusing
and entertaining. And many of those games have the need to use the keyboard
or even a mixture of mouse and keyboard.

Telling me that the 40 year old woman that plays casual games doesn’t know
how to play a game using the keyboard is kind of hard to believe. Even more
when several good (and successful) games out there use the keyboard as their
primary input.

What I feel is that, as Oscar said, being a design issue, it should be left
to the game designer to decide what way is better to play the game. Imposing
these type of rules will only accomplish two things: independent game
developers continue to develop games they don’t like just to make some cash
cows; at some point in time we’ll have a subset of the casual market where
we’ll have “not-so-casual” games (pc downloadable) for different audiences
(which actually will be the same people looking for different games).

Honestly, such rules is clearly Publishers/Distributors rules and not game
developers’. It will most likely level down the quality and variety of the
games in the casual space. Leaving little space for innovation and new forms
of gameplay. Or even worse, it’s a huge investment on “keep-doing-clones”
strategy that many game developers follow.

Just my 2 cents

Pedro Honório Silva

Chief Financial Officer

Ignite Games

Rua Cova da Moura, nº 2 - 2º Dto.

1350-117 Lisboa, Portugal

T: +351 212 427 695 - M: +351 933 465 985

pedro.silva at ignite-games.com

www.ignite-games.com