[casual_games] Use of keyboard on casual games

Kerpelman, Todd TKerpelman at ea.com
Wed May 30 14:29:32 EDT 2007

As a general... uh... "best practices guideline that does not
necessarily constitute a hard-and-fast rule", I find that keyboard (or
right click) commands work best as an optional "power user" interface.
That is, give players the ability to play the entire game with just the
mouse. But if there are places where it makes sense to let players use
keyboard commands in addition, go for it.

Granted, part of that is because we have chat in our games, and run into
annoying situations where players are trying to play the game via
keyboard input while the chat window still has focus. If you don't
include chat in your game, this isn't as much of an issue.

But still, if your player can play the game with their mouse in one
hand, and a phone / beer / cigarette / cup of coffee / crying baby /
etc. in the other, that's usually a good thing.

--Todd

Message: 1