[casual_games] Use of keyboard on casual games

Juan Gril juangril at jojugames.com
Wed May 30 14:44:17 EDT 2007

Pedro, that's why I'm recommending we start talking about "best practices"
instead of rules. Your example of Super Granny 3 is quite valid (although
you are reading the game-sales-charts data in a wrong way).

Your comment on:
"I will never like green strawberries if I never taste them, right? Yet they
might be better that the red ones…"

Is wrong because you are making an assumption that it has been an arbitrary
decision, when it has not, as Publishers and Distributors make focus groups
and user tests every week with real users, and they have already proved that
most people who buy downloadable games have difficulty playing a game with a
keyboard.

And I'm going to give you my opinion after having watched many user tests
why downloadable game buyers are having difficulty with the keyboard. Most
downloadable games players (based on, for example, Popcap's survey of last
year) have never been exposed to PC videogames or console games. The use of
buttons (in a keyboard or in a gamepad) is completely foreign to them. But
they use the mouse in the computers they use at work, so they are familiar
with that form of interaction between computers and them.

In web games sites like Miniclip or Addicting Games or Kongregate, you have
a lot of people like college students, male office workers, and kids who all
have played videogames. So use the cursor keys to play a game is something
more natural to them.

When I was saying before to design the game for the right channel, what I
was saying is this: if you are trying to make money on downloadable games,
it's a "best practice" if you design a game that it's going to use the mouse
to be controlled. And if you have a game that's keyboard controlled, you may
want to think about distributing it on another channel, as it may do better
there.

And no one stops you for putting keyboard control as an option on any casual
game anyway, so have fun with it.

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to avoid the use of the word "rules" as
they can always be broken.

Cheers,

Juan