[casual_games] Use of keyboard on casual games

Paul OSullivan Paulos at eidos.co.uk
Thu May 31 07:36:10 EDT 2007

I think the issue of keyboard control is better understood against the
wider backdrop of the games industry as a whole. It seems that
originally PC downloadable casual games arose from two primary factors:
-

1. The wish of developers to move away from the gravitational pull
of traditional publishing companies.
2. The emergence of the technical possibility to deliver games
directly to the end user via the internet - broadband and digital rights
management solutions.

From there, the 'formula' developed which broadly speaking seems to be
as follows: -

* Mouse control

* Single screen gameplay

* Simple to pick up, hard to master mechanic

* 'Value add' in terms of pretty graphics and sound that
make the simple mechanic seem more than it actually is

* Very shallow and smooth difficulty curve

* High click to reward ratio

* Games targeted at a demographic that is not familiar
with core/hardcore gaming

My feeling is that at some point a few smart guys realised the
following: -

1. That big publishers were not going to take notice of casual for
a while because the scale of the business would not make it worth their
while commercially. Therefore casual games companies would have some
time in which to build up their companies unencumbered.
2. That big publishers would have a problem getting their heads
around casual because it completely goes against the hardcore
mindset/culture/sensibilities.

I have a strong suspicion that mouse control is a key part of the
'formula'. As soon as you include keyboard control you start to move
towards a more hardcore game play style. After all: cursor keys today,
why not a full keyboard flight sim tomorrow? At that stage the
traditional publishers are much more inside their comfort zone...

Personally, I welcome the casual style. I think it's about time we moved
towards an industry that is much more inclusive. Here at Eidos we are
very much supportive of the casual games industry as evidenced by the
announcement of our Sogoplay casual brand and the release of titles like
Diner Dash for the DS.

Let's not rush towards having keyboard control I say!

Paul O'Sullivan | Business Development Manager - Casual Games | New
Media

> Tel. +44 (0)20 8636 3000

> Mob. +44 (0)7870 375 344

<http://www.eidos.com/> <http://www.eidos.com/>