[casual_games] Res: Use of keyboard on casual games

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Thu May 31 19:00:40 EDT 2007

I think it's worth thinking about keyboard vs. mouse for a moment to
understand why people (developers and players alike) view UI as such an
important issue. Everyone uses a mouse to click on things and little
else, so the input literacy is well-established. Most people are
comfortable clicking keys as well -- at least in a word processor, where
literacy is also well-developed. The ambiguity arises for casual gamers
because the keyboard lacks a standard set of cursor keys available to
right-hand mousers: the arrow keys are on the right side of the
keyboard. So keys that usually do one thing (type an "A" or "S") are
used for something else (go left, go down, whatever), and this is
ever-so-slightly confusing. I expect this ambiguity to slowly disappear
as developers throw in keyboard commands without worrying overmuch about
accepted practices.

My advice is the same as several others in this thread: do what the OS
people have learned to do: multiple sets of controls -- the mouse will
do it all, but keyboard commands will also work.

--Hal