[casual_games] Final (???) White Paper Table of Contents

Dave Rohrl universedave at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:35:11 EST 2007

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback on the Table of Contents for the
2008 White Paper. All the suggestions I received were right on target and
I've done my best to integrate them into the revised ToC below. (Please
forgive some of the odd line spacing issues generated by the MS Word->Gmail
interface. I know they're not pretty but they won't appear in the final
product.)

And a special thanks to everyone who has already volunteered to help out
with the White Paper. So far, about 32 people have signed up. In speaking
with former white paper editors, I believe we're going to need 50-60
volunteers to cover all the material I'd like to address in this year's
version. If you have time - even a little bit - and want to help the casual
game community out by helping new particpants, potential investors, and the
great game development community understand what casual games are all about,
please contact me to help write or edit the paper.

Unless there are any serious issues raised with the ToC between now and
Sunday, I'm going to go ahead and start tapping section editors and some
writers this coming Monday. Thanks again to everyone who has offered their
feedback, help, and/or support. It's been an impressive showing so far, and
I'm very excited about the white paper we're going to be creating.

Sincerely yours,
Dave Rohrl
Independent Casual Game Producer/Designer/Consultant
universedave at gmail.com

2008 IGDA Casual Games White Paper Table of Contents

Understanding Casual Games

- What is a Casual Game?
- The Casual Game Audience
- Established segments
- Emerging segments
- Business Model Summary for Casual Games
- Historical results
- The current situation
- Trends and the future
- The Market for Casual Games
- Historical results
- The current situation
- Trends and the future
- Global Design Principles for Casual Games
- Look and Feel Guidelines for Casual Games
- Art Direction
- Audio Direction
- Writing
- Characters and Narrative
- General Production and Development Issues for Casual Games
- QA and Beta Testing
- Localization
- IP and Licensing
- Technology Issues for Casual Games

Downloadable Try and Buy Games

- Overview of the Category
- Art History

· Market and Audience

- North America
- Other Territories
- Business Models
- Traditional
- Alternative
- Category-Specific Design Principles
- Production and Development Considerations
- Funding Models
- A List of the Players in the Space

Browser-Based Games

- Overview of the Browser Games Category
- Advergames

· Overview of the Category

· Art History

· Market and Audience

· Business Models

· Category-Specific Design Principles

· Production and Development Considerations

· Funding Models

· A List of the Players in the Space

- Ad-Supported Games

· Art History

· Market and Audience

o Single Player

o Multiplayer

o Community-based

· Business Models

o Traditional

o Alternative

· Specific Design Principles

· Production and Development Considerations

· Funding Models

· A List of the Players in the Space

Casual MMO's

- Art History

· The Market and Audience

- North America
- Other Territories
- Business Models
- Specific Design Principles
- Production and Development Considerations
- Funding Models
- A List of the Players in the Space

Console Downloads

- Art History of

· The Market and Audience

- Business Models
- Traditional
- Alternative
- Specific Design Principles
- Production and Development Considerations
- Funding Models
- A List of the Players in the Space

Skill Games

- Art History

· The Market and Audience

- North America
- Other Territories
- Business Models
- Specific Design Principles
- Production and Development Considerations
- Funding Models
- A List of the Players in the Skill Game Space

Derivative Products

- Key Derivative Product Successes
- Mobile
- Retail
- Portable
- Console
- Slots/Gambling
- Mac

· Understanding the market for derivative games

- How are they similar to PC/console casual gamers
- How are they different
- Brief Summary of Business Models
- Mobile
- Retail
- Portable
- Console
- Slots/Gambling
- Mac
- Key Derivative Product Players (Licensees, Developers, etc.)